Center for Advanced Laboratory Medicine (CALM)
We are staffed by ASCP licensed medical technologists who strive for accuracy in results, attention to detail, and a quick turn-around-time. Our director, Dr. Eldad Hod, is a board-certified Clinical Pathologist, assistant director of the Core Laboratory, and has expertise in blood banking and hematology testing. Our co-director, Dr. Michael Pesce, has over 35 years of experience in clinical chemistry testing. CALM medical technologists and staff have extensive access to, and actively collaborate with, the entire faculty of the Columbia University Department of Pathology. We are a knowledgeable, creative group who will carefully develop solutions for your research needs.
We currently offer the following services:
- Sample Procurement – We have access to all specimens received in the NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital Core Laboratory.
- Laboratory Testing – Available for both research use only and clinical tests.
- Veterinary Laboratory Testing - We can validate and perform testing on veterinary samples.
- New Assay Validation – We ensure that results are provided with accuracy and reliability.
- New Instrument Validation/ FDA New Device Approval Studies – We can help validate and perform the FDA approval studies for your new device.
- Sample Processing, Shipping, Handling, and Temporary Storage – We have flexible space and freezers to handle, process, store, and ship samples.
- Phlebotomy – CALM is equipped with phlebotomy stations and phlebotomists from 8:30 a.m.–4:00 p.m.
- IRB Submissions – We can develop the protocol and actualize your study.
- Data Management – Data is stored in secure, encrypted databases, accessible for review through protected web access.
We will provide the highest quality results at competitive, reasonable rates.
To begin the collaboration process, please submit a request and we will have one of our CALM professionals contact you promptly.
Eldad Hod, MD
Director; Associate Professor of Pathology and Cell Biology
Michael Pesce, PhD
Co-Director; Professor Emeritus of Pathology and Cell Biology
Jane Netterwald, MT, ASCP
Manager; Senior Staff Associate of Pathology and Cell Biology