Anjali Saqi, MD, MBA
Dr. Saqi is a Professor in the Department of Pathology & Cell Biology at Columbia University Medical Center. She is triple board certified, practices surgical pathology and cytopathology. Her interests include pulmonary pathology and pancreatico-biliary cytopathology with a focus in maximizing results, including molecular diagnoses, on small samples. She also earned her MBA from Columbia Business School. With her experiences and education, she is actively involved in teaching, conducting clinical research, and working hands-on in collaboration with others on innovative solutions to improve the quality of healthcare.
Areas of Expertise / Conditions Treated
- Pancreatobiliary Cytopathology
- Pulmonary Pathology
- Surgical Pathology
- Professor of Pathology & Cell Biology at CUMC
- Director, Pulmonary Pathology
- NewYork-Presbyterian / Columbia University Irving Medical Center
Schedule an Appointment
Connect Patient Portal
For existing patients, login to make an appointment, view documentation or contact your care provider.
- Great West (National)
- Medicare Managed Care
- Essential Plan
- Medicaid Managed Care
- Medicare Managed Care
- Select Care (Exchange)
- Local 1199
- Traditional Medicare
- Special Needs
- Columbia University Employee Plan
- Compass (Exchange)
- Empire Plan
- Medicare Managed Care
Credentials & Experience
Education & Training
- State University of New York - Downstate Health Sciences Center
- MD, 1996 State University of New York Health Science Center at Brooklyn
- Internship: NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center
- Residency: NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center
- Residency: 2000 Weill Cornell Medical College
- Fellowship: Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania
- Fellowship: NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia University Medical Center
Honors & Awards
Castle Connolly Top Doctor
Academy of Clinical Excellence
- Melms JC, Biermann J, Huang H, Wang Y, Nair A, Tagore S, Katsyv I, Rendeiro AF, Amin AD, Schapiro D, Frangieh CJ, Luoma AM, Filliol A, Fang Y, Ravichandran H, Clausi MG, Alba GA, Rogava M, Chen SW, Ho P, Montoro DT, Kornberg AE, Han AS, Bakhoum MF, Anandasabapathy N, Suárez-Fariñas M, Bakhoum SF, Bram Y, Borczuk A, Guo XV, Lefkowitch JH, Marboe C, Lagana SM, Del Portillo A, Zorn E, Markowitz GS, Schwabe RF, Schwartz RE, Elemento O, Saqi A, Hibshoosh H, Que J, Izar B. A molecular single-cell lung atlas of lethal COVID-19. Nature. 2021 Jul;595(7865):114-119. doi: 10.1038/s41586-021-03569-1. Epub 2021 Apr 29.
- Cimic A, Saqi A. Anal cytology and high-risk human papilloma virus testing in atypical squamous categories: Value of concurrent testing in management of high-risk population. Diagn Cytopathol. 2021 Jun;49(6):793-798. doi: 10.1002/dc.24740. Epub 2021 Apr 19.
- Szabo PA, Dogra P, Gray JI, Wells SB, Connors TJ, Weisberg SP, Krupska I, Matsumoto R, Poon MML, Idzikowski E, Morris SE, Pasin C, Yates AJ, Ku A, Chait M, Davis-Porada J, Guo XV, Zhou J, Steinle M, Mackay S, Saqi A, Baldwin MR, Sims PA, Farber DL. Longitudinal profiling of respiratory and systemic immune responses reveals myeloid cell-driven lung inflammation in severe COVID-19. Immunity. 2021 Apr 13;54(4):797-814.e6. doi: 10.1016/j.immuni.2021.03.005. Epub 2021 Mar 11.
- May MS, Kinslow CJ, Adams C, Saqi A, Shu CA, Chaudhary KR, Wang TJC, Cheng SK. Outcomes for localized treatment of large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma of the lung in the United States. Transl Lung Cancer Res. 2021 Jan;10(1):71-79. doi: 10.21037/tlcr-20-374.
- Shirsat H, Zhou F, Chang JC, Rekhtman N, Saqi A, Argyropoulos K, Azour L, Simms A, Melamed J, Hung YP, Roden AC, Mino-Kenudson M, Moreira AL, Narula N. Bronchiolar Adenoma/Pulmonary Ciliated Muconodular Papillary Tumor. Am J Clin Pathol. 2021 May 18;155(6):832-844. doi: 10.1093/ajcp/aqaa194.
- Kunnath-Velayudhan S, Larsen BT, Coley SM, De Michele S, Santoriello D, Colby TV, Bhagat G, Saqi A. Masson Trichrome and Sulfated Alcian Blue Stains Distinguish Light Chain Deposition Disease From Amyloidosis in the Lung. Am J Surg Pathol. 2021 Mar 1;45(3):405-413. doi: 10.1097/PAS.0000000000001593.
- De Michele S, Remotti HE, Del Portillo A, Lagana SM, Szabolcs M, Saqi A. SATB2 in Neoplasms of Lung, Pancreatobiliary, and Gastrointestinal Origins. Am J Clin Pathol. 2021 Jan 4;155(1):124-132. doi: 10.1093/ajcp/aqaa118.
- Maniar R, Anderson M, Taback B, Khan S, McDonnell D, Saqi A, Niedt GW, Carvajal R. Case of Merkel cell carcinoma in a patient with pre-existing ILD. J Immunother Cancer. 2020 Nov;8(2):e001672. doi: 10.1136/jitc-2020-001672.
- Szabo PA, Dogra P, Gray JI, Wells SB, Connors TJ, Weisberg SP, Krupska I, Matsumoto R, Poon MML, Idzikowski E, Morris SE, Pasin C, Yates AJ, Ku A, Chait M, Davis-Porada J, Zhou J, Steinle M, Mackay S, Saqi A, Baldwin M, Sims PA, Farber DL. Analysis of respiratory and systemic immune responses in COVID-19 reveals mechanisms of disease pathogenesis. medRxiv. 2020 Oct 18:2020.10.15.20208041. doi: 10.1101/2020.10.15.20208041. Preprint.