Areas of Expertise / Conditions Treated
- Renal Pathology
- Associate Professor of Pathology & Cell Biology at CUMC
- NewYork-Presbyterian / Columbia University Irving Medical Center
Schedule an Appointment
- Great West (National)
- Medicare Managed Care
- Essential Plan
- Medicaid Managed Care
- Medicare Managed Care
- Select Care (Exchange)
- Local 1199
- Traditional Medicare
- Special Needs
- Compass (Exchange)
- Empire Plan
- Medicare Managed Care
Credentials & Experience
Education & Training
- MD, 2002 Damascus University, Faculty of Medicine (Syrian Arab Republic)
- Residency: University of Pittsburgh Medical Center
- Residency: Damascus University Hospital
- Residency: 2009 University Of Pittsburgh Medical Center
- Fellowship: Montefiore Hospital
- Fellowship: Dana Farber Cancer Institute-Harvard Medical School
Honors & Awards
- 2010 F. Stephen Vogel Award United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology
- 2012 Stowell-Orbison Award United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology
- 2015 Member Spotlight American Society of Transplantation
- 2019 Gloria Gallo Mid-Career Research Award Renal Pathology Society
Using immunohistochemistry and in vitro approaches, my research focuses on the role of dendritic cells in shaping early and late kidney allograft inflammation, including their association with distinct morphologic patterns of allograft injury.
I am also interested in investigating the immune and inherited factors that predict glomerulonephritis in the kidney allograft.
2023-2025 (Batal, PI)
American Society of Transplantation Career Transition Grant “The Role of Genetics and Inflammation in Donor-Derived APOL1-Associated Kidney Diseases”.
The objective of this research is to define genomic and inflammatory predictors of donor-derived APOL1-associated kidney diseases.
1/2022-12/2023 (Batal, PI)
Nelson Faculty Development Award “Genomic and Immune Predictors of Recurrent Immune-Mediated Glomerulopathy of the Kidney Allograft”.
The objective of this research is to define genomic predictors and serologic predictors in patients with recurrent membranous nephropathy, IgA nephropathy, and focal segmental glomerulosclerosis and acquire preliminary data for NIH grant submission.
2022-2023 (Batal, PI)
2022 Irving Institute Precision Medicine Pilot Award “The Immunopathology of Donor-Derived APOL1 Nephropathy”
The objective of this research is to study the immunopathology of post-transplant donor-derived APOL1-associated kidney diseases and acquire preliminary data for NIH grant submission.
2020-2021 (Batal, PI)
Mendez National Institute of Transplantation Foundation Research Grant “Genetic and Immune Predictors of Recurrent Glomerulonephritis of the Kidney Allograft” ($150,000)
2018 - 2020 (Batal, PI)
AST/Astellas Translational Science Faculty Development Research Grant “The Clinicopathologic Significance of Graft Dendritic Cells and Ischemia-reperfusion Injury in Kidney Allograft Inflammation and Outcome” ($100, 000)
- Jagannathan G, Weins A, Daniel E, Crew RJ, Swanson SJ, Markowitz GS, D'Agati VD, Andeen NK, Rennke HG, Batal I. The pathologic spectrum of adenovirus nephritis in the kidney allograft. Kidney Int. 2022 Nov 24:S0085-2538(22)00968-1. doi: 10.1016/j.kint.2022.10.025. Online ahead of print
- Zanoni F, Khairallah P, Kiryluk K, Batal I. Glomerular Diseases of the Kidney Allograft: Toward a Precision Medicine Approach. Semin Nephrol. 2022 Jan;42(1):29-43.
- Daniel E, Sekulic M, Kudose S, Kubin C, Ye X, Shayan K, Patel A, Cohen DJ, Ratner L, Santoriello D, Stokes MB, Markowitz GS, Pereira MR, D'Agati VD, Batal I. Kidney allograft biopsy findings after COVID-19. Am J Transplant. 2021 Aug 17. doi: 10.1111/ajt.16804. Online ahead of print.
- Batal I, Serban G, Mohan S, Husain SA, Vasilescu ER, Crew RJ, Dube G, Sandoval PR, Coley SM, Santoriello D, Stokes MB, D'Agati VD, Cohen DJ, Markowitz G, Hardy MA, Ratner LE. The clinical significance of receiving a kidney allograft from deceased donor with chronic histologic changes. Mod Pathol. 2021 Sep;34(9):1795-1805.
- Batal I, Vasilescu ER, Dadhania DM, Adel AA, Husain SA, Avasare R, Serban G, Santoriello D, Khairallah P, Patel A, Moritz MJ, Latulippe E, Riopel J, Khallout K, Swanson SJ, Bomback AS, Mohan S, Ratner L, Radhakrishnan J, Cohen DJ, Appel GB, Stokes MB, Markowitz GS, Seshan SV, De Serres SA, Andeen N, Loupy A, Kiryluk K, D'Agati VD. Association of HLA Typing and Alloimmunity With Posttransplantation Membranous Nephropathy: A Multicenter Case Series. Am J Kidney Dis. 2020 Sep;76(3):374-383.
- Kamal J, Khairallah P, Crew RJ, Ye X, Swanson SJ, Kudose S, Park DC, Appel GB, Markowitz GS, D'Agati VD, Batal I. Clinicopathologic Assessment of Monoclonal Immunoglobulin-Associated Renal Disease in the Kidney Allograft. A Retrospective Study and Review of the Literature. Transplantation. 2020 Jul;104(7):1341-1349.
- Santoriello D, Husain SA, >De Serres SA, Bomback AS, Crew RJ, Vasilescu ER, Serban G, Campenot ES, Kiryluk K, Mohan S, Hawkins GA, Hicks PJ, Cohen DJ, Radhakrishnan J, Stokes MB, Markowitz GS, Freedman BI, D’Agati VD, Batal I. Donor APOL1 high-risk genotypes are associated with increased risk and inferior prognosis of de novo collapsing glomerulopathy in renal allografts. Kidney Int. 2018 Dec;94(6):1189-1198.
- Batal I, Mohan S, De Serres SA, Vasilescu ER, Tsapepas D, Crew RJ, Patel SS, Serban G, McCune K, Husain SA, Chang JH, Herter JM, Bhagat G, Markowitz GS, D'Agati V, Hardy MA, Ratner L, Chandraker A. Analysis of Dendritic Cells and Ischemia-Reperfusion Changes in Post-implantation Renal Allograft Biopsies May Serve as Predictors of Subsequent Rejection Episodes. Kidney Int 2018 May;93(5):1227-1239
- Batal I, De Serres SA, Safa K, Bijol V, Ueno T, Onozato ML, Iafrate AJ, Herter JM, Lichtman AH, Mayadas TN, Guleria I, Rennke HG, Najafian N, Chandraker A. Dendritic Cells in Kidney Transplant Biopsy Samples Are Associated with T Cell Infiltration and Poor Allograft Survival. J Am Soc Nephrol 2015 Dec;26(12):3102-13
- Batal I, Azzi J, Mounayar M, Abdoli R, Moore R, Lee JY, Rosetti F, Wang C, Fiorina P, Sackstein R, Ichimura T, Abdi R. The mechanisms of up-regulation of dendritic cell activity by oxidative stress. J Leukoc Biol 2014 Aug;96(2):283-93.
- Venkatesh D, Ernandez T, Rosetti F, Batal I, Cullere X, Zhang Y, GarcÃa-CardeÃ±a G, Stavrakis G, Horwitz B, Mayadas TN. Endothelial TNF Receptor 2 Induces IRF1 Transcription Factor-Dependent Interferon-β Autocrine Signaling to Promote Monocyte Recruitment. Immunity. 2013 May 23;38(5):1025-37.
- Batal I, Lunz III J G, Aggarwal N, Zeevi A, Sasatomi E, Basu A, Tan H, Shapiro R, Randhawa P. A Critical Appraisal of Methods to Grade Transplant Glomerulitis in Renal Allograft Biopsies. Am J Transplant. 2010 Nov;10(11):2442-2452.