I am anatomic and clinical pathologist specializing in cytopathology and surgical pathology at the Department of Pathology and cell biology. I completed medical school at Tripoli University, Libya and clinical scientist training program master's degree from Baylor College of Medicine Houston, Texas. I worked as a postdoctoral fellow at Baylor and MD Anderson Cancer Center and engaged in translational research focusing on adoptive immunotherapy with gene-modified effector cells to improve cancer therapy using CAR-T cells and published several peer-reviewed articles in esteemed journals. I completed my anatomic and clinical pathology training at Brown University/ Rhode Island Hospital and cytopathology training program at Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth College. I completed my surgical pathology training at Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital/Harvard University.
I held previous appointments as an Assistant Professor of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine at Robert Wood Johnson Medical School/Rutgers University and Director of the Cytopathology services at Monmouth Medical Center and Community medical center.
Areas of Expertise / Conditions Treated
- Anatomic Pathology
- Clinical Pathology
- Assistant Professor of Pathology and Cell Biology at CUMC
- NewYork-Presbyterian / Columbia University Irving Medical Center
Schedule an Appointment
- Great West (National)
- Medicare Managed Care
- Essential Plan
- Medicaid Managed Care
- Medicare Managed Care
- Select Care (Exchange)
- Local 1199
- Traditional Medicare
- Special Needs
- Compass (Exchange)
- Empire Plan
- Medicare Managed Care
Credentials & Experience
Committees, Societies, Councils
- 2013-present United States & Canadian Academy of Pathology (USCAP): member
- 2013-present American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP): member
- 2013-present College of American Pathologists (CAP): member
- 2011-2013 American Society of Gene Therapy (ASGT): member
- 2011-present American Red Cross CPR/AED: member
- 2011-present Children’s of Libya Aid Foundation.
- 2009-2013 Center for Cell and Gene Therapy, Baylor College of Medicine: member.
- 2007-present Libyan Association of Physicians.
Honors & Awards
- 24th Annual Hospital Research Celebration, Rhode Island Hospital: 2nd place winner, October 2016.
- The American Society for Gene and Cell Therapy: Merit Award, May, 2011.
- Master degree Scholarship: Clinical Scientist Training Program, Baylor College of Medicine, 2010
- Evangelou Z, Zhang L, Tafe LJ, Azzouz L, Grada Z, Linos K. Primary cutaneous Ewing sarcoma with diffuse S100/SOX10 positivity and pseudoalveolar pattern: An extraordinarily rare case highlighting a potential pitfall with significant repercussions. Journal of Cutaneous Pathology. 2021 Feb;48(2):302-308.
- Jamal SME, Alamodi A, Wahl RU, Grada Z, Shareef MA, Hassan SY, Murad F, Hassan SL, Santourlidis S, Gomez CR, Haikel Y, Megahed M, Hassan M. Melanoma stem cell maintenance and chemo-resistance are mediated by CD133 signal to PI3K-dependent pathways. Oncogene 39, 5468–5478 (2020).
- Godbersen-Palmer C, Coupet TA, Grada Z, Zhang SC, Sentman CL. Toxicity Induced by a Bispecific T Cell-Redirecting Protein Is Mediated by Both T Cells and Myeloid Cells in Immunocompetent Mice. Journal of Immunology. 2020 Jun 1;204(11):2973-2983.
- Amin A, Murati-Amador B, Lombardo KA, Jackson CL, Grada Z, Palsgrove DN, Matoso A. Analysis of Intestinal Metaplasia Without Dysplasia in the Urinary Bladder Reveal Only Rare Mutations Associated With Colorectal Adenocarcinoma. Applied Immunohistochemistry & Molecular Morphology. 2020 Nov/Dec;28(10):786-790.
- Salama A, Marcellino BK, Saad AG, Teruya-Feldstein J, Firpo-Betancourt A, Abulsayen HA, Grada Z, Hassan M, El Jamal SM. Correlation Analysis Between the Expression of MEF2B, and Germinal Center and Nongerminal Center Markers in Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma. Applied Immunohistochemistry & Molecular Morphology. 2020 Aug;28(7):e63-e64.
- Saad A, Grada Z, Bishop B , Abulsayen H, Hasan M, Firpo-Betancourt A, Teruya-Feldstein J, Fraig M, El Jamal SM “nCounter NanoString Assay Shows Variable Concordance with Immunohistochemistry-Based Algorithms in
- El Jamal SM, El Dinali MH, Grada Z, Hassan SY, Ghanjati F, Gibson B, Chastain E, Saad AG, Bishop BJ, Santourlidis S, Megahed M, Basso K, Fraig M, Hassan M “MEF2B Is a Member of the BCL6 Gene Transcriptional Complex and Induces Its Expression in GC-DLBCL”. Laboratory Investigation Journal, 2019 Apr;99(4):539-550.
- Grada Z, Paquette C, Eklund CM, Zhang C, Sung CJ, Steinhoff M, Quddus MR. Evaluating the Age Cutoff Criterion for Reporting Benign-Appearing Endometrial Cells in Routine Pap Tests: An 8-Year Retrospective Review. Acta Cytologica. 2017;61(3):194-198. Epub 2017 May 10. PMID: 28486237
- Scrimgeour LA, Grada Z, Aswad BI, Ng T. Lessons Learned from an Untreated “Benign” Thoracic Tumor. The Annals of Thoracic Surgery. 2017 Feb. PMID: 28109372.
- Hegde M, Mukherjee M, Grada Z, Pignata A, Landi D, Navai SA, Wakefield A, Fousek K, Bielamowicz K, Chow KK, Brawley VS, Byrd TT, Krebs S, Gottschalk S, Wels WS, Baker ML, Dotti G, Mamonkin M, Brenner MK, Orange JS, Ahmed N. Tandem CAR T cells targeting HER2 and IL13Rá2 mitigate tumor antigen escape. Journal of Clinical Investigation. 2016 Aug. PMID: 27427982
- Yakirevich E, Magi-Galluzzi C, Grada Z, Lu S, Resnick MB, Mangray S. Cadherin 17 is a sensitive and specific marker for metanephric adenoma. American Journal of Surgical Pathology. 2015 Apr;39(4):479-86. PMID: 25768256
- Grada Z, Hegde M, Byrd T, Shaffer DR, Ghazi A, Brawley VS, Corder A, Schönfeld K, Koch J, Dotti G, Heslop HE. TanCAR: a novel bispecific chimeric antigen receptor for cancer immunotherapy. Molecular Therapy-Nucleic Acids. 2013 Jul 9;2:e105. PMID: 23839099
- Ghazi A, Ashoori A, Hanley PJ, Brawley VS, Shaffer DR, Kew Y, Powell SZ, Grossman R, Grada Z, Scheurer ME, Hegde M, Leen AM, Bollard CM, Rooney CM, Heslop HE, Gottschalk S, Ahmed N. Generation of Polyclonal CMV-specific T Cells for the Adoptive Immunotherapy Glioblastoma. Journal of Immunology. 2012 Feb-Mar;35(2):159-68. PMID: 22306904