Dr. Wasserman serves as the Director of Cytopathology at Columbia University Medical Center since October 2012 where she specializes in the cytological diagnosis of neoplastic and non-neoplastic disorders. She is board-certified in Anatomic and Clinical Pathology and in Cytopathology. She received her medical degree with Honors from the University of Buenos Aires, School of Medicine in Argentina. Following her residency in Anatomic and Clinical Pathology, and fellowship in Cytopathology, at The Mount Sinai School of Medicine in New York, she joined Long Island Jewish Medical Center where she served as the Chief of the Division of Cytopathology. In 1999, she became the Director of the Cytopathology Fellowship at Long Island Jewish Medical Center. In 2009, she was named Senior Director of the Division of Cytopathology at North Shore-Long Island Jewish Health System (today's Northwell). Dr. Wasserman is actively involved in several professional societies, including College of American Pathologists, American Society of Cytopathology, International Academy of Cytology, Papanicolaou Society of Cytopathology and American Society for Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology. From 2012 until 2020, Dr. Wasserman served as a Member of the Executive Board of the American Society of Cytopathology. She was the ASC's Foundation Board Chair from 2028 until 2020. She also served as the ASC’s Chair of the Guidelines and Position Statement Committee and Cytopathology Program Directors Committee, Member of the Continuing Education Oversight Committee and Member of the Foundation Board. From 2006 to 2012, she has been a Member of the College of American Pathologists Cytopathology Resource Committee. Dr. Wasserman served as a Member of the Education and QA Committee of the International Academy of Cytology and as a Member of the Pathology Committee of the American Society for Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology. She received the ASC President's Award in 2015. Dr. Wasserman authored over 80 publications and abstracts and contributed to three book chapters. Her publications are included in peer-reviewed journals such as Journal of American Society of Cytopathology, Acta Cytologica, Diagnostic Cytopathology, Cancer Cytopathology, Archives of Pathology and CytoJournal.
Areas of Expertise / Conditions Treated
- Cervical Cancer
- Non-gynecologic Cytology
- Thyroid Cancer
- Professor of Pathology & Cell Biology at CUMC
- Director of Cytopathology
- NewYork-Presbyterian / Columbia University Irving Medical Center
- NewYork-Presbyterian Westchester
Schedule an Appointment
Credentials & Experience
Education & Training
- University of Buenos Aires Faculty of Medicine (Argentina)
- Residency: Mount Sinai Hospital
- Residency: 1989 Mount Sinai Medical Center
- Fellowship: Mount Sinai Hospital
Committees, Societies, Councils
Papanicolaou Society of Cytology, Standard of Practice Task Force, Member, March 2017-Present
American Society of Cytopathology, Executive Board, Elected Member, 2012-2016
American Society of Cytopathology, Foundation Board, Member, 2011-present
American Society of Cytopathology, Guidelines and Position Statements Committee, Chair, 2013-2016
American Society of Cytopathology, Cytopathology Program Directors Committee, ASC Executive Board Liaison, 2014-2016
American Society of Cytopathology, Cytopathology Program Directors Committee, Chair, 2011-2014
American Society of Cytopathology, Cytopathology Program Directors Committee, Member, 2008-2011
American Society of Cytopathology, Continuing Education Oversight Committee, Member, 2011-present
Cytopathology Educational and Technology Consortium (CETC), Representative, (Member organizations: ASCP, ASC, ASCT, CAP, IAC, PSC), CAP Liaison, 2008 – 2016
American Society for Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology (ASCCP), Pathology Committee, Co-Chair, 2013-present
American Society for Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology, Pathology Committee, Member, 2010-2012
College of American Pathologists (CAP), Cytopathology Resource Committee Member, January 2006 - October 2011
College of American Pathologists, Spokesperson, December 2007 – Present
College of American Pathologists, Lab Inspector, 1992 – Present
International Academy of Cytology (IAC), Education and QA Committee, Member, July 2010-2012
College of American Pathologists, Fellow (FCAP)
American Society of Cytopathology, Member (MASC)
International Academy of Cytology, Member (MIAC)
Papanicolaou Society of Cytopathology, Member
United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology, Member
American Society for Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology, Member
Honors & Awards
- American Society of Cytopathology (ASC) President’s Award, November 15, 2015
- American Society of Cytopathology, elected Member of Executive Board, November 2012 (two recipients per year)
- Long Island Best Doctors, Castle, Conolly Medical Guide, 2008-2012
- Top Doctors – New York Metro Area, Castle, Connolly Medical Guide, 2005-2012
- America’s Top Physicians, Consumers’ Research Council of America, Washington DC, 2003-2012
- Best Doctors in America, 1996-Present.
- ASC’s Warren L. Lang, M.D. Resident Physician Award - Bajac J, Wasserman J, Morgenstern N, Wasserman P. Clinical Impact of Second Opinion in Thyroid Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology: A Study of 922 Inter-institutional Consultations, Platform Presentation, American Society of Cytopathology 58th Annual Scientific Meeting, Boston MA, November 11-16, 2010
- America’s Top Pathologists, Consumers’ Research Council of America, Washington DC, 2009
- Honors Diploma, top 1% of class, University of Buenos Aires School of Medicine, March 1983
- Gonzalez A, Ametorgoh A, Hamele-Bena D, Everest S, Virk R, Cimic A, Tiscornia-Wasserman P. The Significance of ASC-H and LSIL Dual Interpretation with Risk Stratification: One Institution Experience, J Am Soc Cytopathol. 2021 Jun 17:S2213-2945(21)00063-6. doi: 10.1016/j.jasc.2021.06.004. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 34246617.
- Virk R, Tiscornia-Wasserman P. Impact of COVID-19 pandemic on functioning of cytopathology laboratory: experience and perspective from an academic center in New York. Cytopathology 2021 May;32(3):304-311. doi: 10.1111/cyt.12953. Epub 2021 Jan 19 PMID: 33463817
- Leeds S, Tiscornia-Wasserman P, Sepulveda A, Abrams A. Uptake and acceptance of cytosponge screening for Barrett’s Esophagus in the primary care setting. April 2020, Gastroenterology 158(6):S-307-S-308.
- Vasilyeva D, Tiscornia-Wasserman P, Gonzalez A. Negative Roche cobas HPV testing in cases of biopsy-proven invasive cervical carcinoma, compared to Hybrid Capture 2 and liquid base cytology. J Am Soc Cytopathol. 2020 Aug 13:S2213-2945(20)30271-4. doi: 10.1016/j.jasc.2020.08.006. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 32896510.
- Sung S, Del Portillo A, Gonda T, Kluger M, Tiscornia-Wasserman P. Update on risk stratification in the Papanicolaou Society of Cytopathology System for Reporting Pancreatobiliary Cytology categories: 3-year, prospective, single-institution experience. Cancer Cytopathol 2020;128:29-35. doi: 10.1002/cncy.22199. Epub 2019 Nov 13. PMID: 31722125.
- Sung S, Margolskee E, Chen D, Tiscornia-Wasserman P. Incidence of noninvasive follicular thyroid neoplasm with papillary-like nuclear features and change in risk of malignancy for The Bethesda System for Reporting Thyroid Cytology. J Am Soc Cytopathol. 2019; 8(3):133-140. doi: 10.1016/j.jasc.2019.01.005. Epub 2019 Jan 22. PMID: 31097289.
- Sung S, Schook J, Del Portillo A, Sepulveda A, Tiscornia-Wasserman P. DNA-Mismatch Repair Immunocytochemical Validation in Cytopathology Samples. August 2018 Journal of the American Society of Cytopathology 7(5):S80. DOI: 10.1016/j.jasc.2018.06.188
- Lee A, Sung S, Remotti H, Virk R, Tiscornia-Wasserman P. Cytologic Characteristics of Intraductal Oncocytic Papillary Neoplasm. August 2018 Journal of the American Society of Cytopathology 7(5):S39 DOI: 10.1016/j.jasc.2018.06.091
- Escalante E, Jones N, Arpin R, Atkinson K, Hassa N, Tiscornia-Wasserman P, Winkler N, Wilbur D. The CerviCusco Telecytology Conferences - 2011 to 2018: Data from Seven Years of Providing Cervical Cytology Interpretation Services in Peru. August 2018 Journal of the American Society of Cytopathology 7(5):S83-S84 DOI: 10.1016/j.jasc.2018.06.007
- Chen D, Sung S, Margolskee E, Tiscornia-Wasserman P. Cytomorphologic Features of Non-Invasive Follicular Neoplasm with Papillary-like Nuclear Features. August 2018 Journal of the American Society of Cytopathology 7(5):S19-S20 DOI: 10.1016/j.jasc.2018.06.052
- Sung S, DelPortillo A, Oberstein P, Kluger M, Tiscornia-Wasserman P. Update on the Risk Stratification of the Papanicolaou Society of Cytopathology Pancreaticobiliary Guidelines (PSCPG) August 2018 Journal of the American Society of Cytopathology 7(5):S36-S37 DOI: 10.1016/j.jasc.2018.06.087
- Yang J, Schnadig V, Logrono R, Wasserman P. Fine Needle Aspiration of Thyroid Nodules. A Study of 4,703 Cases with Histological and Clinical Correlations. Cancer Cytopathology 2007,111;5,306-15
Global Health Activities
Humanitarian mission, International Cervical Cancer Association (INCCA), CerviCusco project (www.theincca.org and www.cervicusco.org ), volunteer, weekly reviews of Pap tests originated from underserved Cusco population, one of the areas with highest rate of cervical cancer in the world, via Telepathology, 2010-present.
Humanitarian mission , International Cervical Cancer Association (INCCA), CerviCusco project, volunteer, cervical cancer screening services, Cusco, Peru, June 2010
NYS Global Health Forum sponsored by The Associated Medical Schools of NY (AMSNY) and Hofstra NSLIJ School of Medicine, NYU School of Dentistry, November 2011