Jay Lefkowitch was born and raised in New York City. He attended the famed High School of Music and Art as an art student and later attended Clark University in Worcester, MA, as a fine arts major. He attended medical school at the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Columbia University (1972-1976) and stayed on at New York Presbyterian Hospital for his pathology residency training in Anatomic Pathology. He received specialty training in liver pathology during a Fellowship year spent working with Professor Peter J. Scheuer in London, U.K., at the Royal Free Hospital, a major international referral center for patients with liver and biliary tract diseases. At the Royal Free Hospital Dr. Lefkowitch also benefited from working with the academic team in the Liver Unit, including Professor Dame Shelia Sherlock, the late, world-renowned clinical hepatologist. . Upon return from London, in 1980 Dr. Lefkowitch became a faculty member of the Department of Pathology (now the Department of Pathology and Cell Biology) at Columbia University Medical Center, where he is currently Professor of Pathology and Cell Biology. Dr. Lefkowitch's publications include over 80 peer-reviewed papers in medical journals as well as medical textbooks. He is the author of Scheuer's Liver Biopsy Interpretation (now in its 9th Edition) and is the Chief Editor of Anatomic Pathology Board Review.
Areas of Expertise / Conditions Treated
- Liver Cancer
- Liver Disease
- Liver Pathology
- Liver Surgery
- Professor of Pathology & Cell Biology at CUMC
- Director, Autopsy Service, Columbia University Medical Center, New York, New York.
- NewYork-Presbyterian / Columbia University Irving Medical Center
Schedule an Appointment
Credentials & Experience
Education & Training
- Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons
- Internship: Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center, NY
- Residency: Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center, NY
- Fellowship: Great Ormond Street Hospital - London, England
Committees, Societies, Councils
1. Member, American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases.
2. Member, United States-Canadian Academy of Pathology.
3. Member, American Society for Investigative Pathology.
- Anatomic Pathology
Honors & Awards
- Teacher of the Year (Second Year Class), 1985 1988, 1992, 1994, 1995, 2000, 2004
- Gender Equity Award from American Medical Women's Association, 1995, 1999, 2000
- Presidential Teaching Award from Columbia University, 2000
- Charles Bohmfalk Award for Distinguished Teaching in the Clinical Years, May 1995
- Distinguished Teacher Award, Graduating Class of Columbia University College of Physicians & Surgeons, 1983, 1997
- Dean's Biochemical Research Study Grant, 1981, 1982, 1983
- Phi Beta Kappa, 1971
- Harold Lee Meierhoff Memorial Prize in Pathology, Columbia University College of Physicians & Surgeons
- Joseph Garrison Parker Award in the Arts, Columbia University College of Physicians & Surgeons
- Turkish A,Levy J,Kato M,Granowetter L,Ruzal-Shapiro C,Berdon W,Sussman J,Lefkowitch J.Pancreatitis and probable paraneoplastic cholestasis as presenting manifestations of pancreatic lymphoma: evaluation,management,and clinical course in a child. J Ped Gastroenterol Nutr 2004; 39: 552-556.
- Eleazar JA,Memeo L,Jhang JS,Mansukhani MM,Chin S,Park SM,Lefkowitch JH,Bhagat G. Progenitor cell expansion: an important source of hepatocyte regeneration in chronic hepatitis. J Hepatol 2004; 41: 983-991.
- Gaglio P,Malireddy S,Levitt BS,Lapointe-Rudow D,Lefkowitch J,Kinkhabwala M,Russo MW,Emond JC,Brown RS Jr. Increased risk of cholestatic hepatitis C in recipients of grafts from living versus cadaveric liver donors. Liver Transplant 2003; 9: 1028-1035.
- Kumar KS,Lefkowitch J,Russo MW,et al. Successful sequential liver and stem cell transplantation for hepatic failure due to primary AL amyloidosis. Gastroenterol 2002; 122: 2026-2031.
- Lefkowitch JH,Haythe JH,Regent N. Kupffer cell aggregation and perivenular distribution in steatohepatitis. Modern Pathol 2002; 15: 699-704.
- May LD,Lefkowitch JH,Kram MT,Rubin DE. Mixed hepatocellular-cholestatic liver injury after pioglitazone therapy.Ann Intern Med 2002; 136: 449-452.
- Yeh YA,Rao PH,Cigna CT,Middlesworth W,Lefkowitch JH,Murty VVVS.Trisomy 1q,2,and 20 in a case of hepatoblastoma: possible significance of 2q35-q37 and 1q12-q21 rearrangements. Cancer Gen Cyto 2000; 123: 140-143.
- Marvin MR,Lefkowitch J,Ishak KG,Chabot J. Long-term survival of a young woman with peripheral cholangiocarcinoma: a case report. J Clin Gastroenterol 1999; 28: 64-66.
- Arnon R,Yoshimura T,Reiss A,Budai K,Lefkowitch JH,Javitt NB.Cholesterol 7 hydroxylase Knockout mouse: a model for monohydroxy bile-acid related neonatal cholestasis. Gastroenterology 1998; 115: 1223-1228.
- Lefkowitch JH,Yee HT,Sweeting J,Green PHR,Magun AM.Iron rich foci in chronic viral hepatitis.Hum Pathol 1998; 29: 116-118.
- Yano M,Kumeda H,Kage M.Ikeda K,Shimamatsu K,Inoue O.Hashimoto E,Lefkowitch JH,Ludwig J,Okuda K.The long term pathological evolution of chronic hepatitis C.Hepatology 1996; 23: 1334 1340.
- Lefkowitch JH,Schiff ER.Davis GL,et al.Pathological diagnosis of chronic hepatitis C: a multicenter comparative study with chronic hepatitis B.Gastroenterology 1993; 104: 595 603.
- Perrillo RP,Schiff ER,Davis GL et al.A randomized,controlled trial of interferon alfa 2b alone and after prednisone withdrawal for the treatment of chronic hepatitis B.N Engl J Med 1990; 323: 295 301.
- Davis GL.Balart LA,Schiff ER,et al.Treatment of chronic hepatitis C with recombinant interferon alfa.A multicenter randomized,controlled trial.N Engl J Med 1989; 321:1501 1506.
- Foitl DR.Hyman GH.Lefkowitch JH.Jaundice and intrahepatic cholestasis following high dose megestrol acetate for breast cancer.Cancer 1989; 63 :438 439.
- Knobler EH.Silvers DN,Fine KC,Lefkowitch JH,Grossman ME.Unique vascular skin lesions associated with the human immunodeficiency virus.JAMA 1988; 260: 524 527.
- Lefkowitch JH.Apfelbaum TF.Non A,non B hepatitis: Characterization of liver biopsy pathology.J Clin Gastroenterol 1989; 11: 225 232.
- Lefkowitch JH,Apfelbaum TF.Liver cell dysplasia and hepatocellular carcinoma in non A,non B hepatitis.Arch Pathol Lab Med 1987; 111: 170 173.
- Lederman SM.Martin EC.Laffey KT,Lefkowitch JH.Hepatic neurofibromatosis.malignant schwannoma and angiosarcoma in von Recklinghausen's disease.Gastroenterology 1987; 92: 234 239.
- Lefkowitch JH,Goldstein H.Yatto R,Gerber MA.Cytopathic liver injury in acute delta hepatitis.Gastroenterology 1987; 92: 1262 1266.